Watch Your Weight Go Down!
Note: This is a review. Click here to go to The Weight Watchers Site.
Does Weight Watchers Work Long Term?
But it takes commitment and plenty of cash as it can get expensive.
Weight Watchers is one of the biggest names on the market today. So of course, it made the cut at my weight loss program reviews.
Weight Watchers actually began in the 1960’s when an overweight housewife (Jean Nidetch) invited some friends to her New York home to discuss the best ways to lose weight.
They all decided to follow a diet recommended by a dietitian visited by Jean. In addition, they began meeting regularly to discuss their goals and progress.
Soon Jean paired up with a businessman named Al Lippert and viola, Weight Watchers was born.
Weight Watchers Philosophy
The philosophy behind this program is to promote a reduced-calorie, low fat diet to encourage weight loss. (that sounds healthy!)
There are two different diets which comprise the eating plan:
- The Points Plan–on this plan, you are allowed to eat or drink anything you want as long as you stick to a daily point allowance.
- The Core Plan- here you are allowed to eat from a set list of “core” foods. These are foods that are considered healthy and low calorie. Eat as much of these as you want.
There is also a weekly Points allowance for snacks and treats. You have the ability to switch between the two programs at any time.
More About The Weight Watchers Point System
Don’t quite get it? Here is an explanaton of how it works?
A Point value is assigned to every food and drink. The Points are based on the saturated fat, calorie content and the portion size.
Basically, you can figure that the higher calorie foods are going to have higher Points value. Your job is to add up the Point value of everything you eat and drink during the day and make sure you don’t go over your daily Points allowance.
If you attend meetings at a physical location, you will have a group leader who will advise you on your Points allowance.
If you join the online Weight Watchers community, you will enter personal information including height, weight, gender, age, and how much exercise you get during the day. The Points allowance is determined from this information.
Keep in mind, the more weight you have to lose, the more Points that you will be allowed to have each day. You will not be on an unbearable calorie restricted diet. Most people average close to 20 points a day.
- Food!-Hey, NOTHING is banned. Every food is on the table so to speak.
- Support-It has always been my experience that it is much easier to accomplish anything with support. Attend the meetings and create new friendships while sharing an amazing experience.
- Health-You will ultimately eat more balanced meals on this healthy diet plan and that is always a good thing.
- Cost-This program can be a little pricey, so if you are on a very tight budget, it may not be for you.
- Convenience-It can be somewhat of a pain to constantly find Point values for the foods you want to eat.
Does Weight Watchers Work Long Term?
I like Weight Watchers. I like any program that is based on a healthy diet plan.
My only complaint is the lack of emphasis and training on physical activity. However, if you have the time and resources (money!), this is one you should try.
Click here to go to The Weight Watchers Site.
- Personalized Weight Loss Like Never Before—No Two Plans Are Alike!| WW USA. “Personalized Weight Loss Like Never Before—No Two Plans Are Alike! | WW USA.” www.weightwatchers.com. Accessed June 9, 2022. https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/.
- What is the Weight Watchers Diet? A Detailed Beginner’s Guide | U.S. News Best Diets. “What Is the Weight Watchers Diet? A Detailed Beginner’s Guide | U.S. News Best Diets.” health.usnews.com. Accessed June 9, 2022. https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/weight-watchers-diet.